The Man Pulling Radishes
Pointed My Way
With A Radish

- Issa (1763 - 1827)

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

We're Not In Kansas Anymore...


October 3, 2012

The past two days have proved the value of not judging a book by its cover, and have managed to show me several things which I can immediately appreciate and be thankful for about my situation here in Kenya. In the span of only 5 days in the country, I have already entered many more homes of Kenyans, many of them poor, than I ever did in Somaliland, and received invitations to visit many more. I have had nice, intelligent conversations with people all over the area, full of warmth and appreciation. I have exercised my freedom, both by traveling all over the district, sans guard, and by walking solo around the town on some errands. I’ve even chatted with a young lady who works at M-Pesa, to the point she offered me a chair and then asked when I was free so she could show me around Kisii, quote, because she “really enjoys my company”. Now these things in and of themselves may not seem major, life altering, or even particularly exciting, but they all lie in sharp contrast to the previous year of my life, where contact with the outside was minimal, freedom was limited to a small space within 4 walls, guards were a constant presence, and talking with Somalis, let alone females, was a rare occasion.

Indeed these differences represent everything that I yearned for during the previous year. I wanted the freedom to walk around and explore on my own, the ability to develop friendships with local people and be invited into their homes. These all being denied to me, I wished for them. Now that I have them, I must give some space to appreciating them, for it is the tendency of the human mind to ignore what it has and constantly bemoan what it does not, seeking out new sources of misery and frustration. Indeed I can now appreciate some of the things I had before more fully, such as a larger room with my own bathroom, considerable space to do as I please within the confines of our compound, the constant interaction with many people near my age, the friendship of people like Suzanne, Claire, John and Dylan, with whom I shared the experience of being young and having many cultural references in common. Also the sense of purpose I gained through teaching, something I could immediately engage in with my students and which never ceased to be relevant, giving me a continual source of self-worth throughout the year. While this is yet to come here, come it surely must, as I gain familiarity with the context of this place, OAF’s role, and my own specifically, I will be able to start creating value, and thus valuing my presence more and more with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment