The Man Pulling Radishes
Pointed My Way
With A Radish

- Issa (1763 - 1827)

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Long Journey Home


September 28, 2012

Having just finished putting together the compendium of random reflections and thoughts from this past year in Somaliland, which I did partly for me, and partly because Sam wouldn't get off my back about it, I’m now sitting in a hotel room near the Cairo Airport, about to embark upon my next great journey. Before I can adequately prepare for that, which I would like to do so as to enter with as clear a mind as possible, I need to put aside these past few weeks (or months really) of travel and personal interaction, storing it in a safe place for the gem that it was, and then making room in the NOW of me for the serious task that lies ahead.

My story after leaving Somaliland has been one of superlatives in a sense, with by far the most countries I’ve visited in a short amount of time, most food I’ve eaten (ever?), most people I’ve visited who weren’t a short drive away, most distance traveled, etc. The facts of the matter, in as plain a narrative as I can muster, were that a mere day after arriving back in Somaliland from my interview for OAF in Kenya, I was on the road again, crossing the Wachale border into Ethiopia, this time with no immediate plan of coming back. From one last Hip Hip Harar! With Erimayas, to some delicious dinners and a nice afternoon on the Taitu terrace from Ellen, Nicholas, and Stephen, to the final, tastiest, chicken burger of our lives, John and I savored Ethiopia as only true connoisseurs could. Even as we flew out of the Addis airport, we didn’t shed too many tears, for we knew we would be back.

The next stop was Egypt, where we had made plans to stay with Thibault in the same apartment Dylan and I had crashed at the previous break. There, owing to the presence of Ramadan and the extreme heat, we didn’t do a ton, but rather walked around a bit, ate some delicious meals, saw the Pyramids (again) and got inexplicably lost rather too many times. After a few days we were ready to journey further for me, to unexplored territory, so we bused down to Dahab, the golden camp on the edge of the red sea. There we became acquainted with a local guru of sorts, a young man named Roddy whose American passport and Egyptian-Samoan background didn’t keep him from declaring Dahab his favorite place on earth. Roddy and a few more of his crew made Dahab a splashing success, with highlights of tipsy truck riding, Y’ella bar DJing, Kofta cookouts, discount beers in the surf at sunset, and early morning skinny dips after scoping the limited club scene. By the time we had to leave, we didn’t want to, and it was with a certain trepidation that we made our way to Nuweiba for the ferry across the Red Sea to Aqaba in Jordan.

A fairly pleasant ferry ride (all things considered) gave way to a noxious late night bus ride up to Amman, until we finally arrived at Sam’s apartment in Jebel Webdeih sometime in the wee hours of the morn. The next 5 days were mainly characterized by sloth and recovery from the previous shenanigans, and Ramadan managed to caste a thick blanket of nothing to do over the city and over us especially. We managed, at last, to rally in our final hour and made a trip down to the Dead Sea for a brutal hike into Wadi Menshallah followed by a stony night of sleeplessness and a morning dip in the putrid waters of the Dead Sea. More than worth it. The next day it was onward and out with John and I flying on to Qatar, where we planned to meet up with former AT teacher Teresa.

Despite the refusal of Qatar airways to sponsor us a visa and the absurdity of paying $40 for 1 night in the city, we decided getting to hang out with Teresa was worth it, which proved to be correct intuition, as between her crazy driving of her open top jeep through the humid streets, the sights of so many buildings, born in their flashy, twisted shapes, almost yesterday, and the fact that she bought us dinner and gave us a nice place to sleep in her living room, more than compensated for Qatar’s antiquated immigration policies.

The next day saw us on a morning flight bound for Sri Lanka, which John and I were both looking forward to in no small amount, in part as it symbolized our break with the Middle East and the introduction to a new culture entirely. Our introduction was less than stellar however, with the almost 2 hour crawl through traffic to our hostel exposing us to enough smog to send a mission to mars. Things immediately improved once we arrived at our beautiful little hostel and realized it was 100 meters from the sandy beach, where we proceeded directly to mix as many local liquors with the popular ginger beer as possible. The next few days were a mix of beach fun and serious consumption of the local Arak (not at all the same as the aniseed liquor of the some name found in Syria). A short trip up to Kandy turned up beautiful countryside in the hills, but no discernible nightlife, making me yearn a bit for Ethiopia and its constant buzz of activity. I returned on my own for one last night on the beach in Colombo before flying out the next day for Malaysia.

Arriving in Kuala Lumpur I was ambushed by Mark who had set up a video chat with Sam and snuck into the baggage claim area. Shutting his shenanigans down STAT, we made our way to visit Kyle and Ayu at Ayu’s sister’s place, where a delicious meal and baby Dash were awaiting. Taking their leave the next day, we traveled on to Melaka, where the Jonker Walk night market overwhelmed me completely and lead to serious overconsumption of strange Chinese snacks and sweets. The next morning we set out for Tioman Island, a fantastic paradise, reachable by annoying and stressful ferry, but worth it for as many days of blissful near-solitude you can spare. There I discovered the joys of snorkeling amongst coral reefs, while dodging sea urchins (successfully) and jellyfish (less than successfully). Tioman offered some of the rawest tropical beauty of my trip so far and stands out as a singularly peaceful place amongst the pandemonium of earlier and later destinations. On from Tioman we made our way to Mark’s town in Southern Malaysia, where we drank more bubble tea, ate more delicious Chinese food, and, when I found out I got a job offer form One Acre fund, drank lots of overpriced beer in a completely empty Indian dance club. Well, I did at least, Mark kindly watched me celebrate and then, when the time was right, participated in a spirited rendition of our fusion dance from the senior year SAS show we performed in.

The next morning it was on the road again, with a short but tiring border crossing into Singapore, leading to lunch with Trixie at the Google office there. Post-lunch Mark and I finagled our way into an Andy Warhol exhibition at the Art Museum, and part of a Harry Potter exhibit before we were kicked out. By that time it was time to head for the airport, and we boarded our Airphil express for the short journey to Manila.

Arriving in Manila by night, we, and by that I mean I, immediately ate some pork, and then we cabbed into Magallenas village, the home of the Angela Poe. The next morning I met Angela’s darling mother, who would be the most consistently awesome host I’d ever had (along with Angela’s Dad and Brother) over the next 4 days, making us feel more at home than our actual homes (almost), and treating us to a rare view of Manila through the perspective of some of its most successful inhabitants, who nonetheless were committed to working for the betterment of their country, down to its most destitute inhabitants (that would be including us :)) Highlights include the awesome volcano on an island with an island, the volcano called Lake Taal at Tagaytay, the ridiculously crowded Manila train service, and the rooftop bar Sky with its strict shoe policy and wonderful view of the city’s most modern buildings. Oh, and the food tour through Chinatown, that was incredible. It was with a heavy heart that I made my way to Clark Airport outside Manila, and an even heavier heart that I learned I would have to spend the night on the benches outside the airport, even though there was no other option for me I could think of.

So it was yet again off a sleepless night that I boarded my flight for Hong Kong early the next morning, but with a few winks en route and the excitement of being amongst so many incredible buildings, I rallied with the energy to test out Hong Kong’s lack of open container laws and eat the most incredible dim sum of my life, before passing out in Jared’s apartment for the rest of the day. The next few days saw me win quizzo for the first time! (not really my doing), bike all over Cheng Chao with Matt, and dance on top of a bar at Carnegie’s, before rising much too early for my long haul flight through Japan (spent 3 hours on trains, saw some of the countryside from these trains) to my final destination of San Francisco.

Emerging from the BART at Civic Center in San Fran, the 1st thing I noticed was the cool rush of air, the 2nd the smell of gange. Successfully navigating the bus system (after some false starts) brought me to Catherine and Yuqing’s apartment, where over the next 4 days or so I would meet a great number of Penn people I hadn't known before, listen in on some fascinating conversations on start-ups in tech and growth strategies, and walk, a lot, up and down some serious hills. Add a quick lunch with Aditi, a sojourn into the Sonoma valley for a wine tasting of sorts, and it was a nice time spent in one of America’s most interesting cities.

But then it was time to return home, and so I arrived in Greensboro (cheaper than Raleigh!) to be met by 2 parents, and a serious helping of BBQ, coleslaw and hush puppies. Arriving home was comforting, though lessened somewhat by the lack of Sonny Boy, who had passed away a few weeks previous. My plan of sitting at home and reading all day quickly gave way to a slew of doctor and dentist appointments my mom has so generously arranged for me, and between various errands, seeing family and friends, it was all I could do to get everything essential taken care of before I departed, yet again, 2 weeks later, for NYC and the last leg of my “Hello-Goodbye Tour”.

Spending a night at Arvind’s place on the upper west side, the next day I bused to Boston, where I met up with "the gang", Mike Chen, Maria, Brittney, and Gillian (over the next 4 days), running into several other Penn kids randomly and getting an interesting view of Boston via the North End, Brighton, and Cambridge.

Upon returning to NYC, I was ushered to Brooklyn with Lily where I observed her cozy apartment, shared with Grace the Dula. Taking leave on the early train the next day, I bummed around Bryant Park until I was to meet up with Seghen and Therlow for drinks. Randomly encountering Mary at the same intersection, the 4 of us enjoyed some tasty beers and finally I rushed back to the upper west to catch Arvind before he fell asleep. The next day found me at Bryant Park yet again, where after a dear lunch with Arvind, I caught up with Michelle before being forced into the subway on my way to JFK, which would land me, some 10 hours later, at this hotel in Cairo, where EgyptAir is putting me up for the day while I wait for my onward journey to Nairobi in a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment